Don Emery is the President and General Manager of Arnold Palmer’s Bay Hill Club and Lodge. Don has over 20 years experience in the hospitality industry, including his prior roles as general manager for the renowned Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, California, and Interlachen Country Club Country Club in Winter Park, Florida. Under his leadership, the latter two clubs were named platinum clubs of America each for the first time in history. Don was also named manager of the year in California by the United States Professional Tennis Association in 2014, and he currently serves on the advisory board of The Collins College of Hospitality Management at Cal Poly Pomona.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Don’s experience within the golfing industry and how his experience led to his being appointed as General Manager of the Arnold Palmer Bay HIll Club and Lodge.
- How hospitality clubs are a unique piece of the industry since they actually involve many different sectors from retail and dining to sports and lodging.
- How hospitality industries can be particularly demanding due to long weekends and working holidays. Leaders must watch out for ways to help encourage their employees due to the stress of these demands.
- An overview of Arnold Palmer’s life, views, philosophy, and why his legacy is important.
- The importance of change in the hospitality business and how it’s easy to miss opportunity for change if you are afraid of alienating customers.
- Why consistent change is necessary for long-term success
- Why other leaders must learn how to preserve company vision.
- What to do when passion is diminished.
- How insights during these low points can lead to very interesting realizations and career choices.
Ways to contact Don:
- Website: www.bayhill.com
- Phone (Bay Hill Club and Lodge): 407-876-8018
- Phone (Arnie’s Army Charitable Foundation): 407-876-8016
- Twitter: @APBayHill
- Instagram: @APBayHillClub
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/APBayHill