Many of you listening are familiar with the concept of burnout. Many of you may even have experienced the symptoms of burnout at one point or another. The COVID-19 pandemic has brought with it a whole new set of challenges that have contributed to unique feelings of burnout and fatigue that have the potential to be overlooked or misdiagnosed.
Whether it’s the pressure of having your children at home all day or the fatigue that comes with too many Zoom meetings, without the necessary self-care and adequate sleep, experiencing symptoms of burnout becomes practically unavoidable. Tuning in, you’ll hear Dr. Sharon Spano delve into the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the myth of having work-life balance, and why it’s important to remember that we are living in unprecedented times. Tune in for this special solocast on how to adapt to the pressures of modern life, and more!
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Introducing today’s solocast topic: COVID-19, burnout, and scheduling self-care.
- How the COVID-19 pandemic, remote work, and having children at home could be contributing to unique feelings of burnout.
- Some of the cognitive and physical symptoms that accompany burnout.
- Effects of adrenal fatigue; how low cortisol could be misdiagnosed as anxiety or depression.
- The role that sleep plays in burnout and how to improve the quality of your sleep.
- How to increase your somatic awareness and how it can help you recognize signs of burnout.
- The medically approved fast Sharon is currently on and how it impacted her concentration.
- Some of the natural methods you can use to address sleep disturbances.
- The concept of COVID-19 becoming an endemic issue and what that means long term.
- Why work-life-balance should be considered a myth in our society.
- The concept of work-life integration and how it differs from work-life balance.
- How rituals and routines can assist in establishing work-life integration.
- How meditation can help individuals who struggle with anxiety.
- Why Sharon recommends including self-care when you schedule your calendar.