Psychedelic treatments in medical interventions are becoming more prevalent in America. Full-scale implementation is still a long way away as there are still major concerns surrounding psychedelic use, mostly regarding unsafe recreational use and abuse but also how psychedelics might negatively affect the people who could actually benefit from these treatments the most.
Joining us again today to give us a better understanding of what he calls “sacred medicine” is the vastly knowledgeable and ever-eloquent, Mark Monchek. Mark recently attended the MAPS Psychedelic Science Conference 2023, and from what he learned there, he gives us his definition of psychedelics before diving into the human history of mind-altering medicines.
We learn about the importance of understating your intention, why medical psychedelic treatments are useful when done correctly, how psychedelics may affect people with depression and anxiety, and how psychedelics can affect spiritual and overall human development in the long run. All things considered, the use of psychedelics under proper supervision could be the catalyst to help you do the work more effectively, so be sure to tune in to find out why!
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Mark’s definition of psychedelics or, as he refers to them, sacred medicine.
- Set and setting: understanding your intention and knowing how to safely use psychedelics.
- A brief look at the history of psychedelics.
- The risks of using psychedelics for people with depression and anxiety.
- Assessing the long-term effects of psychedelics within spiritual (and overall) development.
- Why MAPS doesn’t support the recreational use of psychedelics.
- The dangers of jumping from one addiction or dependency to another.
- Why psychedelic treatments should be viewed as catalysts and not cures.
- Safe and unsafe psychedelic trips: defining “good trip,” “bad trip,” and “negative state.”
- The ins and outs of medical psychedelic treatments.
- Mark’s parting words of wisdom and advice: be present in every moment!
MAPS Psychedelic Science 2023: https://psychedelicscience.org/
Humphry Osmond: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC381240/
The Other Side of Potential Podcast: sharonspano.com/podcast/