The word “narcissist” is thrown about so often these days. Nearly everybody thinks they know someone who displays narcissistic tendencies, but narcissism is more than an inflated ego or an infatuation with one’s own reflection; it’s a serious psychological disorder.
To learn more about this deeply misunderstood mental health issue, Susan Schwartz, Ph.D., a Jungian analyst and licensed clinical psychologist, joins us. In this episode, we discuss what narcissism looks like in real life, how it manifests itself at home or in the workplace, and how you can tell if you’re in a relationship with a narcissist.
Susan also explains why narcissists often have challenges in love and difficulty in relationships, including the relationships they have with themselves, and she highlights the need to have greater compassion for the painful burden that the narcissist carries as well. For deeper insight into this complex personality disorder, tune in today!
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- What narcissism is and why it’s so deeply misunderstood.
- A narcissist’s relationship with themselves and what “healthy narcissism” looks like.
- How to tell if you are in a relationship with a narcissist.
- If it’s possible to set boundaries with a narcissist effectively.
- Unpacking whether or not narcissists are capable of love.
- Insight into what it’s like to be a narcissist.
- The need to have compassion for the burden a narcissist carries.
- What to do once you realize you’re in a relationship with a narcissist.
- Defining gaslighting and how to know if it’s happening to you.
- How you can begin to recover from a painful relationship with a narcissist.
- Susan’s hope for narcissists who want to “find themselves.”
The Absent Father Effect on Daughters: susanschwartzphd.com/product/the-absent-father-effect-on-daughters/
Imposter Syndrome and the ‘As-If’ Personality in Analytical Psychology: susanschwartzphd.com/product/as-if-personality-imposter-syndrome-and-illusions-in-the-mirror/
The Other Side of Potential Podcast: sharonspano.com/podcast/