What truly defines a community? And what kind of impact does community have on your life and your sense of belonging? In today’s episode with Mark Monchek, we unpack the true essence of community, inviting you to reflect on your own experiences and the role community plays in your life.
We take a closer look at the types of communities that people are a part of, from online masterminds to initiatives for social change, and unearth the type of conditions that help foster a community where individuals can feel a sense of safety, belonging, and that they are able to make a meaningful contribution.
Our conversation also delves into the profound interconnectedness we see in nature, the consequences of acting as a consumer, rather than a citizen, and what we can do to foster a greater sense of community in our lives.
Join us today as we explore the true meaning of community and the powerful impact it can have on our sense of belonging and connection.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Mark’s definition of community and the key qualities he values most.
- The many versions of community we see today.
- Why community is so important; safety, a sense of belonging, and the ability to contribute.
- Nature as an interdependent community and how humanity is living in contradiction to that.
- What Sharon has learned from the diverse community that she is a part of in North Carolina.
- The criteria for a healthy and supportive in-person community.
- How a crisis (like the COVID-19 pandemic) can foster intimacy and connection.
- The conditions that are conducive to a healthy and supportive online community.
- How facilitators influence group dynamics, both online and in person.
- Key distinctions between seeing yourself as a consumer versus as a citizen.
- When initiatives for social change also act as communities.
- The communities that we’re already in and how to make them more communal.
Fabian Pfortmüller: https://www.pforti.com/
Ilia Delio on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/stores/Ilia%20Delio/author/B001JS2T2E
Share Lab: https://opplab.com/share-lab/
The Other Side of Potential Podcast: sharonspano.com/podcast/