Today’s guests on the show are Russ and Sky Stephens, father-daughter team and co-founders of the Association of Professional Builders, a business coaching company dedicated to improving the residential construction industry for both builders and consumers. APB is a firm believer that residential home builders deserve to be earning more money for the service they are providing and that consumers deserve a more superior service than they currently receive. The problem is the difficulty of delivering world-class service on tiny margins, or without having the proper systems in place, which is what Russ and Sky are dedicated to changing.
In order to maximize the client experience and overcome these difficulties, APB helps builders systemize their building company. The result is an improved client experience which leads to more demand. This allows an increase in margins and ultimately the ability to scale their businesses into desirable building companies that possess real value and can be sold as an asset. In this episode, Russ and Sky share how their perspective on home building might differ from that which we hold in the US. You’ll learn more about them as family business owners and how they might maneuver some of the challenges that we know exist in those entities, so make sure to tune in today!
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Hear about Russ and Sky’s journey into this industry and what inspired them to start APB.
- Some of the differences between the building industry in Australia versus the US.
- Russ and Sky reflect on the trend towards multifamily for younger generations.
- Find out how APB helps builders deal with supply chain issues in the current housing market and prepare for potential future downturns.
- Sky shares APB’s recommendations for builders during the COVID crisis: over-communicate!
- Who APB typically works with and where their members are located.
- Russ shares some of the team members APB has on the ground in the US.
- What inspired Sky’s decision to leave university to work with her father.
- Sky clarifies that her and Russ started this business together: it wasn’t the typical family business succession scenario!
- Russ outlines their role differentiation, from lead generation to member management.
- Hear about APB’s training curriculum and onboarding process for their coaches.
- How you can get involved in APB’s coaching opportunities.