To become a Navy SEAL you need to endure years of grueling training, and it is only a very small portion of those who start the process that end up completing it. We are joined today by retired Navy Seal Master Chief, Stephen Drum, and author of the new book Life on the X: A Navy SEAL’s guide to meeting any challenge with courage, confidence, and readiness.
We hear from Stephen about what it was like training to become a Navy SEAL, the lessons he has learned from his years of service, and how he is sharing those lessons with corporate America. He breaks down the key principles of his book Life on the X and elaborates on what leaders can learn from studying the Navy’s approach to courage, confidence, and readiness.
Stephen Drum’s insights from his time as a Navy SEAL are invaluable for anyone looking to develop as a leader. To learn more about leadership and how to be the best version of yourself, both in your personal and professional life, be sure to tune in today!
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- An introduction to today’s guest, Stephen Drum.
- Learn what inspired Stephen to join the Navy SEALs growing up.
- A breakdown of the intense training that Navy SEALs go through.
- How other organizations, like the army, approach mental health support.
- An overview of the Navy’s Warrior Toughness program and Stephen’s role in it.
- How Stephen’s Navy experience informs his work with corporate leaders.
- Stephen’s advice to anyone who is new to leadership.
- A breakdown of the difference between management and leadership skills.
- The meaning behind the title of Stephen’s book Life on the X.
- The variations in how receptive people are to improving their leadership.
- Stephen’s philosophy on courage, confidence, and readiness.
- How to approach accountability and vulnerability as a leader.
- The training Stephen does to prepare leaders for failure.
- Stephen’s parting advice: master the basics first.
Life on the X: A Navy SEAL’s Guide to Meeting Any Challenge with Courage, Confidence, and Readiness: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Meeting-Challenge-Confidence-Readiness/
Stanley McChrystal: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Stanley-McChrystal
The Other Side of Potential Podcast: sharonspano.com/podcast/