William Vanderbloemen is an entrepreneur, pastor, speaker, author, and CEO/Founder of Vanderbloemen Search Group. He is a regular contributor to both Forbes and Fortune, and he is frequently asked to contribute to many media outlets on staff culture and team building.
William has combined over 15 years of ministry experience as a Senior Pastor with the best practices of executive search to provide churches with a unique offering: a deep understanding of local church work with the very best knowledge and practices of professional executive search.
Vanderbloemen Search Group has served over 800 churches since its founding eight years ago, has grown to thirty-five full-time employees, and has won several company culture awards. In 2016 and 2017, the firm ranked in the top five in Entrepreneur.com’s Top Company Cultures list of all small businesses in the United States. In 2015, 2016, and 2017, Houston Business Journal named the firm a Best Place To Work in Houston. In 2017, Houstonia Magazine named Vanderbloemen a Best Place To Work in Houston, and Entrepreneur.com named Vanderbloemen one of The Best Entrepreneurial Companies in America. The firm was also named twenty-five on Forbes’ 2017 list of America’s Top Executive Recruiting Firms.
William is regularly invited to speak across the country, teaching on leadership, staff culture, hiring, firing, and team building. His book Next: Pastoral Succession That Works focuses on effective pastoral leadership and succession planning. It was released through Baker Books in September 2014. Search: The Pastor Search Committee Handbook was released in June of 2016 by B&H Books. His next book Culture Wins: The Roadmap to an Irresistible Workplace will be released in March of 2018 on the topic of building an effective staff culture.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why a church might need to address the same issues as a corporation: culture building, succession planning, and employee engagement
- How William segued from his life as a pastor to starting his own family-owned business, and why the two roles share much in common
- How Vanderbloemen Search Group helps guide and educate churches in the difficult task of hiring pastors
- What steps William’s group takes to help a church find a new pastor that will fit the church’s existing culture
- What happens when a church hires the wrong person and has to make the difficult decision to terminate
- William’s thoughts on the millennial generation and how they view the modern church experience
- How the family-owned Vanderbloemen Search Group helps churches heal after a change in pastors and encourages the church in planning for the future
- How William addresses the most common obstacles and concerns when a church approaches him for help
- How William made the transition from being a senior pastor to being an entrepreneur and running a family-owned business
- The many ways that an entrepreneurial perspective can benefit a church if the church is prepared to make changes
- William’s advice to millennials for navigating the complexities of the business world today