Rich Sheridan is the CEO and Co-founder of Menlo Innovations. Rich is also the author of Joy Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love. His company was founded in 2001 for the purpose, “To end human suffering in the world as it relates to technology.” Today Rich travels the world speaking about joy, creativity, and human energy in the workplace. In addition to his corporate responsibilities, Rich passionately shares the Menlo way through workshops, tours of his company, speaking, and mentoring entrepreneurs in the community.
Rich has never shied away from challenges or opportunities. His focus is always on technology, teamwork, and organizational design, and always with one goal in mind, the business value of joy. You don’t get to hear that too much in today’s world.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why Rich Sheridan left a successful career as a software programmer to become an entrepreneur and build his own business
- How Rich uses joy and human energy to create a positive culture and drive productivity
- Why Rich decided to name his book Joy Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
- despite concerns that people might dismiss a book about love and joy
- Why it’s critical for a company to live its mission and vision to empower its culture
- How introverts in the workplace are often misunderstood and why they can thrive in an open and communicative environment
- Which simple changes Rich recommends to any company who wants to positively change their workplace environment
- Why Rich tries to minimize workplace meetings and discourages his employees from checking emails from home or while on vacation
- The biggest challenges Rich faces in his organization and how he approaches those challenges
- Why continuous learning is a critical component to Rich’s philosophy and success
- How and when Rich’s next book, Chief Joy Officer: How Great Leaders Elevate Human Energy and Eliminate Fear will be available for preorder