Is it necessary for your child to learn how to identify, comprehend, and express their emotions suitably? Emotional intelligence is a crucial life skill that can positively impact various aspects of a child’s development and future success.
In this episode, we welcome Lynn McLaughlin to discuss her book series called The Power of Thought, which offers a visually engaging narrative on emotional intelligence aimed toward parents, teachers, children, and youth workers. Besides being a best-selling author, Lynn hosts The Taking the Helm Podcast and is a member of a number of organizations helping make a difference.
In our conversation, Lynn shares her personal journey, how a series of life events motivated her to write, and the difference her work is making for families and school systems. We discuss the power of proactive work, actionable strategies to help parents, and more. Tune in and discover how you can set your child on the path of emotional well-being with Lynn McLaughlin.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- The series of events that led Lynn’s interest in children’s emotional well-being.
- The signs that Lynn’s daughter was experiencing trauma.
- She unpacks the various traumas that her daughter experienced growing up.
- How her daughter’s experience inspired her to begin writing.
- Why every parent should read The Power of Thought book series.
- Whether mindfulness and emotional intelligence should be taught in schools.
- An example of a strategy that a child can use to cope with negative emotions.
- Background about her podcast and how she plans to shift the content of the show.
- Ways in which her work is beneficial for children with special needs.
- Find out how to get Lynn to teach her work at your child’s school.
- Lynn shares advice for parents who are questioning their parenting capabilities.
The Power of Thought: https://lynnmclaughlin.com/the-power-of-thought-series
Steering Through It: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BNKNRG
Taking the Helm Podcast: https://lynnmclaughlin.com/taking-the-helm-podcast
Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada: https://www.braintumour.ca/
Rotary International: https://www.rotary.org/en
100 Women Who Care: http://www.100wwc.org/
The Other Side of Potential Podcast: sharonspano.com/podcast/