This episode carries a trigger warning for domestic abuse, which some listeners may find upsetting or offensive. Do you struggle to differentiate between normal and abnormal behavior? Has anyone ever called you a narcissist? It is a guarantee that you will cross paths with a narcissist at some point in your life in the form of a boss, coworker, friend, family member, landlord, or even an intimate partner. Knowing how a narcissist thinks and operates empowers you to navigate those situations and ensure that your mental health is protected.
This is the view of today’s guest, Angela Myer, a clinical-certified hypnotherapist and Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) practitioner, author, motivational speaker, and wellness coach. Angela has worked as a hypnotherapist with people from all walks of life and was voted the best hypnotherapist within her area for the past 12 consecutive years, along with other awards and accolades. She is also the author of The Undetected Narcissist, which provides readers with answers to nuanced questions about narcissistic abuse, traits, and behaviors.
Angela firmly believes that when people are informed, educated, and knowledgeable about narcissism and the associated mental health issues, they significantly reduce the chance of being victimized and emotionally wounded. Alternatively, a greater understanding may assist narcissistic people in changing their behaviors and lead them on a journey toward positive mental health. Through her approach, Angela aims to reduce domestic violence and psychological abuse and help people live happier and healthier lives.
In our conversation, we use her book as a framework to unpack narcissism, the associated abusive behaviors, and how parenting plays a role, and discuss steps to navigate these difficult situations. Learn about the traits and behaviors that all narcissists share, the different ways people can become narcissistic, how the “survival brain” manifests into narcissism, ways narcissists can be abusive, and the steps of identity erosion. Hear about resources for people who are in an abusive relationship, the steps to take to help you get out, and more helpful insights. To learn everything you need to know about a narcissist and go from confusion to clarity, tune in now!
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Angela explains what a narcissist is and the associated traits and behaviors.
- We unpack the value of being informed and educated on the subject.
- Find out about the three ways someone can develop into a narcissist.
- An example of the difference between direct and indirect trauma.
- Whether or not narcissistic behaviors can be cured or treated.
- How there is always an ulterior motive for a narcissist’s behaviors.
- She details what gaslighting is and how to deal with the situation.
- The most effective way to navigate a relationship with a narcissistic person.
- Discover the difference between in-your-face and covert narcissism.
- Hear about the common traits to help you detect if someone is narcissistic.
- We delve into the concepts of split thinking and identify erosion.
- An overview of the three tactics that narcissists regularly use.
- Angela shares her thoughts on the trends of narcissism in society.
- The importance of setting boundaries and how to do it effectively.
- She shares details about her podcast and what she hopes to achieve.
- How to deal with a narcissistic ex-partner when children are involved.
Bradley Angle: https://bradleyangle.org/
Super Pumped: https://www.sho.com/super-pumped
The Other Side of Potential Podcast: sharonspano.com/podcast/