As a business person listening to this podcast, you are likely to have heard of valuations, but what you are perhaps less aware of is the nuances that exist within this field, and how important of an exercise it is to undertake, no matter the size or scope of your business. Our guest on today’s show is Bharat Kanodia, a valuations expert who has signed off on assets worth $2.6 trillion, including the Golden Gate Bridge! Not only is Bharat a master of his craft, but just as importantly, he is a master of making his knowledge understandable to the business owners he works with.
Bharat has the ability to help you maximize the value of your company through identifying areas which are negatively impacting your profit margins, examples of which he shares in this episode. He also explains the three different valuation approaches which can be used, how 9/11 changed the face of the valuations industry, and how to decide which valuation expert to choose for your business.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- An introduction to today’s guest, Bharat Kanodia, examples of assets he has appraised, and the focus of his YouTube channel.
- Bharat explains how he came to be a valuation expert.
- How Bharat’s mindset differs from other people in his field.
- The difference between a valuation and a price, and how a valuation is calculated.
- Three approaches to valuation.
- 9/11 changed the face of the valuations industry, and Bharat explains why.
- Advice from Bharat around how to choose a valuator.
- Why Bharat recommends all businesses, no matter their size, get a valuation once a year.
- Bharat explains what the process of doing a valuation entails.
- The length of time Bharat generally has to spend with an owner as part of the valuation, and why this element of the process is so important.
- Examples of what a valuation can tell someone about their business.
- What Bharat enjoys most about his work.
- Plans that Bharat has for the future.
- Final words of advice from Bharat.